It wasn't Little Little Caesars, but it was still good! Special thanks to Cjuckles and Lois for making the annual pizza run work out. Here's Lois's rendition of the day's happenings along with some photos. I also can't stress enough the importance of her last comment about following the ride leader.
Chuckles pulled the trigger and led us with the destination of TJ Shooters in my old home town of New Vienna (The eNVy of Iowa) in the plan!
Starting out on Hwy 76 we soon turned on to Forest Mills and got a sighting of the Gelo ranch as we passed. Once reaching Luana, we worked our way to Hwy 18 and followed that past Monona to Golden Road down through Farmersburg. When reaching Hwy 13 we cruised past Elkader that was booming with campers and lots of tents set up in farmers market fashion until we reached Grandview Rd. It was green, green as far as the eye could see with amazing looking beans and tasseled corn. We followed Grandview down through Elkport where it turned to Colesburg Rd. The bank showed 86 degrees but the wind really seemed to pick up. It didn't interfere with the riding but helped to keep us comfortable. Passing through Colesburg there looked like a good possibility for a future ice cream stop but not today as we had pizza on our mind. Catching Hwy 3 West for a short distance we turned South onto X47/300th St. passing by the beautiful 3 steepled St. Peter & Paul Church where we spotted young men in tuxes probably cycling through photos before a 2pm wedding there. We turned East and followed Petersburg Rd to TJ Shooters in New Vienna. The pizza, sandwiches, cold drinks and good service did not disappoint. Karrie said the taco pizza was even better than Happy Joe's!
Upon departure, we headed East on New Vienna Rd to Holy Cross Rd where we turned North and passed through the roundabout to Tollgate Rd. We didn't pay any tolls and I only saw one rusty field gate but it was a road where 'we didn't need no stinkin' lines'! We followed that to Great River Rd that took us down to Buenie and all the way to Millville where we got on Hwy 52, one of America's Scenic Byways. We cruised into Guttenberg where we had decided ice cream would be the proper dessert. When we left Joe's we cruised along Riverside Dr until we got back to Great River Rd where the haze was heavy over the Ole Miss. Further in the country we got to see some golden fields of stubble and swaths of straw where the oats had been combined. Once reaching McGregor we worked our way up to Hwy 18 where Dave headed West for home. When we got to the bridge in Marquette Bob crossed over to Prairie and headed for home. The rest of us had a nice cool down ride up Hwy 76 back to Waukon.
The trip meter showed 156 miles when I rolled into the driveway. Good job, Chuckles, you got us led and got us fed! Thanks, Bob, for the scheduled ride for pizza. It's always good to have a reason to go for a ride! The next time Don rides he really wants to stop in McGregor for that ice cream you bragged about!
P.S. I feel regret from Wednesday's ride that we didn't all get back to Waukon as a group. It's a good time for a reminder for all of us and for me when we ride as a group.
When I don't see the rider behind me I need to pull over and stop. The rider ahead of me will pull over, the rider ahead of them will do the same, until the leader pulls over and stops. Once the rider is in sight we may start again. If they don't appear, one of us will ride back and make sure they are okay and not having mechanical trouble. When we make a turn at an intersection I must be certain that the rider behind me knows we are turning either by seeing their turn signal or waiting in sight right before or after the turn until I am certain they know. WE LEAVE NO RIDER BEHIND! Also, if you are not going to returm to Waukon and head for home early, that's fine, but make sure you move to the back of the pack so you don't have riders behind you following you home. Unless, of course, you want to feed them supper and put them up for the night!
| ENTERING TJ'S |
| READY FOR EATS |
| ICE CREAM AT JOE'S |
| THE GANG GATHERS |
| ALL PARKED IN NV |
| TJ SHOOTER'S ACROSS FROM CITY PARK |
| ST. PETER & PAUL, PETERSBURG MY MOTHER'S HOME CHURCH |
![]() |
| St. BONIFACE, NEW VIENNA, WHERE CHUCK GAVE AWAY HIS DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE TO LOIS |
.png)
2 comments:
The group behind me were the ones I think that ended up separated... Not sure, but if I stopped in that area I would have been lost as I had no idea where the roads lead to or where the ones ahead of me were going... very hilly, winding roads so hard to always watch behind... I notice the current leaders drive a tad faster than Bob so we end up getting spread out..I like to slow down in areas where deer may pop out of the woods/brush. Mark G.
Oops! Not that it matters but the first picture is the church in New Vienna and the second pictured church with the 3 spires is in Petersburg. I can plan to lead this coming Wednesday evening.
Post a Comment